Trying to feed school-age kids a healthy diet is a daily battle. Even if they like the healthy options, they are constantly surrounded and enticed by the junkier options. Their friends are bringing to to school, it’s on all the commercials, and it’s at the parks and playspaces and recreational facilities. But it’s a battle worth fighting and I like to fight it by making my own low carb versions of some of the goodies they see. These cheddar-filled sandwich crackers are my answer to those packs of snack crackers you see in every vending machine!
- 1 1/2 cups sunflower seed flour (I ground my own in a coffee grinder)
- 1/2 cup ground chia seed (again, can be ground in a coffee grinder)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 to 6 tbsp whole milk or unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 tsp mustard powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- For the crackers, preheat oven to 300F
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sunflower seed flour, ground chia seed, garlic powder, baking powder and salt. Stir in egg and melted butter until dough comes together.
- Turn dough out onto a large piece of parchment paper and pat into a rough triangle. Top with another large piece of parchment paper. Roll out to about a 1/8-inch thickness, as evenly as you can. Remove top parchment
- Use a sharp knife or pizza cutter to score into 2 inch squares. Transfer whole bottom parchment paper to a large baking sheet.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes, or until edges are golden brown and the crackers are firm to the touch. Remove and let cool completely before breaking apart. They will continue to crisp up as they cool.
- For the filling, combine cheddar, cream cheese, 4 tbsp milk, mustard powder, and salt in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth, adding additional milk , if necessary, to achieve a spreadable consistency.
- To assemble, take one cracker and spread with a teaspoon or so of the cheddar filling. Top with another cracker. Repeat with remaining crackers and filling.