Pumpkin Soup with Sage
- 1 small (about 5 lbs.) pie pumpkin
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 4–6 cups Chicken Stock
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 9 shallots, peeled and halved lengthwise
- 18 fresh sage leaves
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350°. Quarter and seed pumpkin. Rub flesh with olive oil, and bake on a baking sheet for softened, about 45 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Melt 4 tbsp. of the butter in a heavy stockpot over medium heat. Cook onions and garlic in butter until translucent about 20 minutes. Meanwhile, scrape flesh from pumpkin and add to onions. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add 4 cups chicken stock to pot and simmer for 30 minutes. Purée soup in a food processor until smooth, then return to pot. Add additional chicken stock if too thick.
- Melt remaining 2 tbsp. butter in a small pan over medium heat, and cook shallots until golden and tender, about 15 minutes.
- Fry sage leaves in olive oil until crisp. Drain on paper towels, then garnish each serving with 3 shallot halves and 3 sage leaves.
Copyright © 2009-2021 Diabetes Media Foundation, All Rights Reserved. ASweetLife™ is a trademark of the Diabetes Media Foundation, All Rights Reserved.
Do you have any idea of the Carbs involved in this recipe?