Chocolate and peppermint is such a classic holiday combination. Don’t feel like you have to miss out just because you are following a low carb or gluten-free diet! The “white chocolate” drizzle is really just cacao butter melted and mixed with a low carb sweetener and some peppermint extract. You can purchase cacao butter at many natural food stores and online.
Triple Chocolate Peppermint Biscotti (Low Carb, Gluten Free)
- 1 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup Swerve Sweetener or other erythritol
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup good quality coconut oil such as Kelapo, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 2 1/2 ounces 80 to 90% cacao chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 oz cacao butter, chopped
- 2 tbsp powdered Swerve Sweetener or other powdered erythritol
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
Dark Chocolate Dip:
White Chocolate Drizzle:
- For the biscotti, preheat oven to 325F and line a baking sheet with parchment or a silicone mat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the almond flour, cocoa powder, sweetener, baking powder, xanthan gum and salt. Stir in melted butter, egg and peppermint extract until dough comes together.
- Turn dough out onto baking sheet and form into a long, low log, about 10 by 4 inches.
- Bake 25 minutes or until just firm to the touch. Remove from oven and let cool 30 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 250F.
- With a sharp knife, carefully cut log into 16 even slices. Place slices back on baking sheet, cut-side down and bake 15 minutes. Turn slices over and bake another 15 minutes. Turn off oven and let sit inside until cool.
- For the chocolate dip, melt chocolate in a bowl set over a pan of gently simmering water. Add extract and stir until smooth.
- Dip each biscotti fully on one side into chocolate and place back on baking sheet. Let set about 30 minutes.
- For the white chocolate drizzle, place cacao butter into a microwave safe bowl and heat on high in 30 second increments, stirring between, until melted. Stir in powdered sweetener and peppermint extract.
- Let cool 10 to 15 minutes to thicken up slightly (should still be able to drizzle). Use a spoon to drizzle over biscotti. Let set 30 minutes.
Copyright © 2009-2021 Diabetes Media Foundation, All Rights Reserved. ASweetLife™ is a trademark of the Diabetes Media Foundation, All Rights Reserved.
If I left out the peppermint would these work as triple chocolate biscotti
Recipe calls for coconut oil, but instructions refer to butter. Are these ingredients interchangeable?
This looks amazing. Could you sub coconut oil for the cacao butter? Love your blog. Thanks
Carolyn, I’m new to your site…yay! I discovered you while googling for ‘no sugar dark chocolate bark’, and then saw Swerve as an ingredient, which I bought last night to make these awesome sounding desserts. I know about sorbitol and mannitol laxative effects, etc. Can you point me to research you’ve found on erythritol, that it’s not another trick in the sweeteners industry? Can xylitol be used in the bark recipe instead? Also, what brand of unsweetened chocolate do you use and where’s the best price you’ve found? Lots of questions! Thank you so much.