Growing any zucchini this year? Well then in a few weeks or months, you will need all the zucchini recipes you can get. Good thing that long, green squash is low in carbs and high in plenty of nutrients. And if you happen to have any basil growing in your garden as well, you’ve got everything you need for this excellent zucchini basil soup. It’s fresh and delicious and is great both hot and chilled.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 lb zucchini, trimmed and cut into chunks
- 2 cups low-sodium or homemade chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/3 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- Additional salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in large saucepan or dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add zucchini, salt, and pepper, and cook until just tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in chicken broth and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat and add basil leaves. Let wilt a few minutes.
- Transfer soup to a large blender or food processor. If using a blender, you may need to work in batches. Also be sure to cover the top of the blender with a tea towel to avoid any hot liquid splashing out. Blend until smooth.
- Return to pot and add cream and season to taste. Serve hot or cold, it’s good both ways!