Growing any zucchini this year? Well then in a few weeks or months, you will need all the zucchini recipes you can get. Good thing that long, green squash is low in carbs and high in plenty of nutrients. And if you happen to have any basil growing in your garden as well, you’ve got everything you need for this excellent zucchini basil soup. It’s fresh and delicious and is great both hot and chilled.
Zucchini Basil Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 lb zucchini, trimmed and cut into chunks
- 2 cups low-sodium or homemade chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/3 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- Additional salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in large saucepan or dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add zucchini, salt, and pepper, and cook until just tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in chicken broth and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat and add basil leaves. Let wilt a few minutes.
- Transfer soup to a large blender or food processor. If using a blender, you may need to work in batches. Also be sure to cover the top of the blender with a tea towel to avoid any hot liquid splashing out. Blend until smooth.
- Return to pot and add cream and season to taste. Serve hot or cold, it’s good both ways!
Copyright © 2009-2021 Diabetes Media Foundation, All Rights Reserved. ASweetLife™ is a trademark of the Diabetes Media Foundation, All Rights Reserved.
This was marvellous! I increased the amount of fat (I see a mixture of lard and chicken fat) and cream to suit my macros as I am on a high fat diet but kept everything else the same, and it was delicious. I never knew zucchini and basil went so well together, thank you so much for this great idea!
This was great! I cut it in 3 and it made just enough for one good bowl. I added a squeeze of lime juice at the end to brighten it up. Thank you and this will be a wonderful pick-me-up in winter!