Most of us are used to eating tuna with mayonnaise, but since mayo adds calories and cholesterol, we’ve found a healthier alternative. The SweetLife tuna salad uses a traditional vinaigrette dressing in place of mayo. It takes three minutes to prepare and tastes great. Even the texture is just right.
- 1 can of water packed tuna (You can also use tuna packed in olive oil, but it is more expensive and usually has more olive oil than you need so you end up draining half of it).
- 2-3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1-2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (We love it with white balsamic vinegar too).
- Salt and coarsely ground pepper to taste.
- Drain the water from the can of tuna. If you’re using tuna packed in olive oil, the tuna chunks will be quite saturated in oil so you can drain most of the excess oil.
- Combine the olive oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper, and mix it together well so the ingredients are evenly dispersed and the tuna is blended, not chunky.
- You can top a green salad with this or put it into a sandwich, just remember to use whole grain bread!
Carbohydrates per serving: 3-6g.
Tuna is a good source of omega 3, vitamin B6 and phosphorus, and a very good source of protein, niacin, vitamin B12 and selenium.