Air fryers are the latest thing in kitchen appliances and they are wildly popular with good reason. They don’t really fry foods so much as convection bake at a high temperature, so that the food cooks quickly and gets crispy. And with a lot less mess than deep frying.
My kids loved these air fryer Buffalo chicken strips and are begging me to make them again soon. If you prefer not to use crushed pork rinds, add another 1/2 cup of whey protein or try 1/2 cup almond flour.
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips or tenders
- 1/2 cup unflavoured whey protein powder
- 1/2 cup crushed pork rinds
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 1/4 cup Buffalo wing sauce
- Spray your air fryer rack with a little bit of coconut oil spray, or brush with melted oil.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg and water together until well combined. Add the chicken strips and toss to coat, then drain in a colander or strainer in the sink.
- In a medium tupperware container with a lid, combine the protein powder, pork rinds, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Put the lid on and shake to combine.
- Add about half of the strips to the container and shake vigorously to coat, then lay the strips on the rack of the air fryer. Repeat with the remaining strips. Drizzle the strips with the melted butter.
- Cook at 400F in the air fryer for 10 to 12 minutes, until the coating is golden brown and the chicken is cooked through (should reach 165F on an instant read thermometer).
- Brush with the wing sauce to coat and serve hot.