I love pasta and thanks to the Gluten Free Goddess, I have a new favorite. Raw zucchini pasta. With my new, cool, lime green, dual-edged julienne peeler I now can have pasta whenever I’d like! I no longer have to wait for water to boil, the spaghetti is ready almost instantly. A gluten free, low carb pasta and meatball dinner? It really does exist. And it’s delicious.
- 1 lb organic ground turkey
- 1/4 cup cooked quinoa
- 2 green onions (scallions) minced
- 1/2 medium carrot, grated and chopped finely
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried cilantro
- Dash of Chinese 5 spice
- Juice of 1 medium lime
- 2-3 medium zucchinis
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 350°.
- Combine the turkey and quinoa in a large bowl. Don’t be afraid to get your hands dirty. Food always tastes better with some added love.
- Now add your green onion, carrots, herbs, ginger, lime juice and salt and pepper. Stir everything together with you hands until you can easily roll them into little balls. Roll out your turkey mixture into whatever size meatballs you like (I made mine on the small side, almost bite size).
- Place your meatballs on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake them for 10 – 20 minutes, depending on the size, until they are no longer pink in the middle.
- Now, for the fun part. Make your pasta! With your new fabulous peeler, peel down a raw zucchini lengthwise, creating linguine-like strips. Peel until you start to hit the seeds and flip the zucchini 90°. When you’re done, you should have an almost square core of zucchini.
- Arrange your zucchini pasta in a bowl like you would any other gluten-free spaghetti. Add your meatballs on top and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
For more recipes from Alyssa, visit her blog Queen of Quinoa.
*Photo courtesy of Alyssa Rimmer.