Some recipes are born of necessity and this is one of them. My garden is overflowing with cucumbers and those lovely little orange Sungold tomatoes, and I am constantly trying to find ways to use them up. A few tips for this fresh summer salad: don’t add the bacon until serving, as it gets soggy as it sits. And don’t add salt and pepper until the last minute, as it makes the veggies release their moisture and the salad can get a bit soupy.
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 cups cherry tomato halves
- 2 medium cucumbers, chopped
- 3 to 4 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium skillet, cook chopped bacon until crisp. Transfer to a paper-towel lined plate to drain and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, cucumbers, mayonnaise and garlic and toss well.
- Just before serving, add the chopped bacon and season to taste with salt and pepper.