Bacon wrapped meatballs. Does it get any better? We’re thrilled to share a recipe from the Paleo food blogger, Juli Bauer. Juli’s blog PaleOMG is full of of excellent low carb recipes. And again- bacon wrapped meatballs. Need we say anymore? – Jessica Apple
- 1 large butternut squash
- 3 tablespoons fat of choice (bacon fat, coconut oil, ghee, butter, etc.)
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- salt, to taste
- 1 pound ground pork
- ½ yellow onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 10 pieces of bacon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut the bulb off of the butternut squash and just use the end. It’s just easier to work with.
- Cut the skin off the butternut squash then dice the butternut squash into bit size pieces.
- Place butternut squash on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Pour choice of fat on top of butternut squash, sprinkle with garlic and onion powder and salt, mix well to coat the squash.
- In a bowl, mix together ground pork, onion, garlic cloves, and salt and pepper until well combined.
- Make 10 equal sized meatballs.
- Cut all pieces of bacon in half. Wrap a half piece of bacon around the meatball, then the other piece in the opposite direction. Tuck the ends of the bacon underneath the meatball then place it cut side down on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Place both baking sheets in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, until butternut squash is soft and meatballs are firm.
- Serve with a green, because then you feel super healthy. And colorful.