As I’ve gotten older, I’ve learned to appreciate more the time I get to spend with my mother and the time she and her granddaughter get to spend together. It isn’t so much the theater or the trips to the spa that are special so much as it is the simpler things like brunch on a Sunday afternoon. With this weekend being Mother’s Day, this is a great way to tell mom thanks, for everything. It’s simple enough that you still have time for a walk down memory lane, but elegant enough for her special day.
- 1 tsp unsalted butter
- 4 eggs
- 1 tomato, diced
- 2 Tbsp heavy cream
- 4 Tbsp feta cheese
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease the sides and bottom of two 8-oz. gratin dishes with butter.
- Crack 2 eggs into each dish.
- Pour half of the heavy cream into each dish. Sprinkle each dish with half of the diced tomato and feta cheese.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to oven rack and bake until the whites of the eggs are set, and the yolks are still slightly soft, about 12-15 minutes.
- Use tongs and a kitchen towel to transfer dishes to 2 serving plates.
This dish can be modified to suit everyone’s taste. Just change the cheese and add whatever vegetables or meat will suit your guests. One of my other favorite combinations is blanched spinach, Prosciutto and cheddar.