Facing dreary winter weather? In need of hearty comfort food? This beef & mushroom soup is just the answer. Great flavor and plenty of protein to keep you fuelled in the sleet, rain, or snow.
Beef & Mushroom Soup
- 1/4 cup avocado or olive oil
- 2 lbs stew beef, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 12 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 cups beef broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- In a large stock pot or dutch oven, heat 1 tbsp oil over medium heat. Once hot, add half of the stew beef, and cook, stirring frequently, until mostly browned. Remove to a bowl and repeat with another tbsp oil and the remaining beef.
- Add remaining 2 tbsp oil and add mushrooms and onion. Saute until mushrooms are golden brown and onions are translucent, about 7 minutes. Add garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper, and cook one minute more.
- Add broth, bay leaves, tomatoes, and beef (along with any accumulated juices) and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 1 hour, until beef is tender.
- Remove bay leaves before serving.
Copyright © 2009-2021 Diabetes Media Foundation, All Rights Reserved. ASweetLife™ is a trademark of the Diabetes Media Foundation, All Rights Reserved.