When I saw Laura Davidson’s recipe for quinoa flour pancakes I was immediately hungry. I was also very excited to find a pancake recipe without sugar. Laura is the blogger behind Blogging Over Thyme, where she shares her adventures and (mis)adventures in the kitchen, as well as her recently discovered passion for photography. Laura loves to develop and experiment with recipes in her small apartment kitchen, often focusing on whole-grain, nutritious, and hearty dishes. Many thanks to Laura for sharing this recipe during Diabetes Awareness Month. – Jessica Apple
Quinoa (pronounced ‘keen-wah’), which is technically a seed, is one of my favorite ingredients to use in the kitchen. It is full of protein, essential amino acids, dietary fiber, and has a low glycemic index. It is also gluten-free and can be bought or easily ground into flour form to incorporate into baked goods.
These blueberry quinoa pancakes are 100% whole-grain, made with a combination of whole wheat pastry and quinoa flour, and have zero added sugar. They have a great texture and flavor and will keep you full for long time. Enjoy!
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup quinoa flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk (or buttermilk substitute)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup frozen or fresh blueberries (optional)
- Mix dry ingredients (whole wheat pastry flour, quinoa flour, salt, baking powder and soda) in large bowl.
- Add wet ingredients (egg, Kefir or buttermilk, and melted butter). Whisk together until just mixed.
- Ladle pancake batter into buttered non-stick pan over medium heat. Drop in desired amount of blueberries into pancake batter. You never want to add the fruit to the batter beforehand, or the juices will cause the batter to turn purple.
- When bubbles begin to form, flip pancake and continue to cook. Serve and enjoy.
*All photos courtesy of Laura Davidson. For more recipes like this one visit Blogging Over Thyme.