Traditional braised cabbage tends to have a lot of added sugar. I am not a fan of sweet vegetable side dishes so I tried this recipe both with and without a little added sweetener. My whole family preferred it without but you can add a little if you wish.
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 large head red cabbage, shredded
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- Sweetener equivalent to 2 tbsp sugar (optional)
- 2 tbsp butter
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook the bacon until crisp. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate with a slotted spoon, reserving the grease.
- Add the onion and fennel to the pan and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sauté until the onion is tender.
- Add the cabbage and toss to combine. Then pour the vinegar and water over and reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook until tender, 40 minutes to one hour. (If you want a sweeter dish, whisk the sweetener in with the water and vinegar before pouring over).
- When the cabbage is finished cooking, add the butter and let melt, then toss to combine. Add additional salt and pepper to taste and sprinkle with the reserved bacon.