Last week we shared Carolyn Ketchum’s wonderful low carb, gluten free flatbread recipe. And now we have her favorite flat bread sandwich recipe to share: a low carb panini, stuffed with ham, brie and green apple.
One of the things that frustrates us most about diabetes is the feeling that you need a nap after eating lunch. Since our work and kids do not wait for siesta we prefer to eat a very low carb lunch and avoid a blood sugar spike. It’s much better than dragging along all afternoon. And you know you’re in trouble when you think you just need that fifth cup of coffee.
We have a feeling that low carb flat bread paninis are going to become one of our regular lunches.
- 1 recipe Low Carb Gluten Free Flatbread
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- ½ lb black forest ham
- 6 oz brie, thinly sliced
- 1 medium green apple, very thinly sliced
- Oil or melted butter for brushing outside of sandwich
- Preheat panini press.
- Cut bread into 10 sections, then cut through the bready center of each section to get two flat, thin slices.
- In a small bowl, mix mustard and mayonnaise.
- Take two matching sections of bread and spread one side with mustard/mayo combo. Layer with a few slices of cheese, meat and green apple. Repeat with remaining sections of bread.
- Brush outside of each sandwich with oil or melted butter.
- Place on panini press and grill until bread is toasted and cheese is melted.