In this beautiful salad, the bitter flavor of the endive plays off beautifully against the sweet red peppers and broccoli.
Broccoli and Endive Salad with Feta and Red Peppers
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar or champagne vinegar
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- Salt to taste
- 1 small garlic clove, minced or pureed
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, or use 2 tablespoons buttermilk and 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 12 ounces broccoli crowns (2 good-size crowns)
- 1 red bell pepper, roasted if desired
- 1 tablespoon lightly toasted pine nuts
- 6 Belgian endives, leaves separated
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh herbs, such as parsley, chives, tarragon, chervil
- 3 ounces feta, crumbled
For the Dressing:
For the salad:
- Make the dressing. Mix together the vinegars, salt, garlic, mustard, and oil, or buttermilk and oil. Set aside.
- Bring a medium pot of generously salted water to a boil. Fill a bowl with ice water. Add the broccoli to the boiling water and cook 2 1/2 minutes.
- Transfer to the ice water, let cool for a few minutes, and drain. Dry on paper towels. Toss in a bowl with the red pepper, pine nuts, feta, and half the dressing.
- In a wide salad bowl, toss together the endives, herbs, and remaining dressing. Top with the broccoli mixture, and serve.
- Prepare Ahead: You can make the dressing and blanch the broccoli several hours ahead. Do not toss the broccoli with the dressing until you’re ready to serve the salad, or the color will fade.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Diabetes Media Foundation, All Rights Reserved. ASweetLife™ is a trademark of the Diabetes Media Foundation, All Rights Reserved.