I worked in Athens for a year and had a chance to eat a lot of wonderful local Greek food. This recipe was inspired by a traditional dish made with rice and spinach. I’ve changed some of the ingredients, but the lemon flavor that I loved so much in the original recipe remains the same.
This is a favorite not only because of the taste, but also because it allows me to enjoy a large side dish of rice which – thanks to the quantity of Swiss chard mixed in – makes the carbohydrate content lower than it would be with rice alone.
- 1 cup brown rice
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1½ lbs Swiss chard washed and chopped (be sure it is washed well)
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large sauce pan and sauté the onions until they start to brown
- Add the Swiss chard and 4 cups of hot water and bring to a boil.
- Stir in the rice, the salt and pepper.
- Reduce the heat and simmer until rice is cooked and all water is absorbed (add boiling water if necessary)
- Remove and stir in the lemon juice
- Serve hot.