inspired by Comfy Belly’s Upside Down Apple Cake
Preparing these muffins gives off one of the most comforting smells in the world – apples and cinnamon simmering in butter. When I make them my sons always appear in the kitchen. “What are you making? Can I have some now?” they ask. And I spoon out a few of the apples from the frying pan for them.
Not only do these muffins smell great, they are also nutritious, thanks to the combination of buckwheat flour, almond flour, apples, and yogurt. There is no sweetener of any sort in the recipe, so if you must have a sweet element in your muffins then I recommend adding dark chocolate chips to the batter.
I like to have these in the house for the mornings that are especially rushed. My sons will happily eat them for breakfast. (You can warm them in the oven, halve them and then spread butter, jam, or cream cheese on each half.) I often grab one on my way to the gym, and find it gives me plenty of energy to get through a strenuous hour-long workout.
- 4-5 apples
- 6 tablespoons of salted butter
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ cup plain yogurt (I use 3% fat yogurt)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- Optional additions: diced walnuts or other nut, dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Peel the apples and chop them into small pieces.
- Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a large frying pan and add the chopped apples. Sprinkle the apples with 2 teaspoons of cinnamon and mix thoroughly so that the apples are all covered in butter and cinnamon.
- Simmer the apples until they are very soft (about 15 minutes). Stir regularly.
- When the apple-cinnamon mixture is soft, remove from frying pan, and set aside to cool. Meanwhile, in a large bowl blend eggs, yogurt, and vanilla, and 3 tablespoons of melted butter.
- Using a hand blender or a food processor, puree the apple-cinnamon mixture. Add the puree to the bowl and blend well.
- Add the dry ingredients – almond flour, buckwheat flour, and baking soda – to the wet mixture. Mix well.
- Spoon batter into buttered muffin pan and bake for 18-20 minutes.