Salmon burgers can be hit or miss sometimes. Made with canned salmon, they can lack flavor and be dry. This burger recipe uses fresh salmon, some ground and some chopped, to add a chunkier texture to the burger. Chia seed helps the burgers retain moisture and the avocado crema is a delicious accompaniment. No buns needed here!
- 2 lbs salmon skinless salmon filets
- 2 tbsp ground chia seed
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 to 1 tsp cayenne, depending on how hot you like it
- 1 large egg
- 1 avocado
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- For the salmon burgers, preheat grill to medium and lightly oil grill grate.
- Finely chop about half of the salmon. In a food processor, process the remaining half until it’s not quite pureed. Combine both chopped salmon and blended salmon in a large bowl.
- Add chia seed, paprika, oregano, pepper, garlic powder, salt, and cayenne. Add egg and use hands to work spices and egg into salmon mixture. Form into 8 patties about 1/2 inch thick.
- Grill until just cooked through and no longer translucent in the center, about 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- For the avocado creme, combine avocado, yogurt, lime juice, garlic, salt, and pepper in a blender or food processor. Process until smooth and well blended.
- Serve burgers topped with avocado crema.