Who needs pasta shells when you have eggplant? Thinly sliced and rolled eggplant filled with ricotta and other cheeses makes a great healthy, hearty casserole dish. I topped this one with sliced tomatoes, fresh mozzarella and chopped basil for Caprese salad inspired flavours. These eggplant rolls make a great side dish or vegetarian meal.
Caprese Eggplant Rolls
- 2 medium eggplant (about 1 1/2 lbs total)
- 15 oz ricotta
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 cup packed basil leaves, chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3/4 cup no sugar added tomato sauce
- 2 roma tomatoes, thinly slices
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped basil for sprinkling
- Wash and trim eggplant and slice lengthwise into 1/4 inch slices. Sprinkle with salt and let sit 30 minutes.
- Preheat broiler to high and lay a wire rack over a large baking sheet. Set oven rack to 2nd highest position.
- Blot eggplant slices dry with a paper towel and lay in a single layer on wire rack (you will need to work in batches. Broil 3 or 4 minutes per side, or until starting to brown. When all eggplant is browned, turn off broiler and preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl, combine ricotta, mozzarella, basil, eggs, garlic, salt and pepper and stir well to combine. Set aside about 1/2 cup of the ricotta mixture.
- Grease a 9×13 inch glass or ceramic baking dish. Spread about 1 tbsp of the ricotta mixture down the middle of each eggplant slice, leaving a 1 inch border at the wide end. Roll up eggplant slices from the narrow end and lay in a single layer in prepared baking dish. (Don’t be afraid to squish them in there).
- In another large bowl, mix together the tomato sauce and remaining ricotta mixture. Pour over eggplant rolls. Top with slices of tomato and fresh mozzarella. Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes. Then remove foil and broil on high for 5 minutes, until top layer of cheese is lightly browned and bubbling.
- Sprinkle with fresh basil just before serving.
Copyright © 2009-2021 Diabetes Media Foundation, All Rights Reserved. ASweetLife™ is a trademark of the Diabetes Media Foundation, All Rights Reserved.