These days, Brussels sprouts are a pretty trendy ingredient. And everyone claims to have a recipe that will make even the most hardcore Brussels hater change their tune. Well, I am making that same claim now and my recipe for Caramelized Brussels sprouts with browned butter has the added benefit of being ridiculously quick and easy. A hot pan caramelizes the sprouts in a matter of minutes and a little browned butter drizzled over makes them a delectable side dish. Even my Brussels-hating husband loves caramelized Brussels sprouts with brown butter!
- 1 tbsp coconut or vegetable oil
- 1/2 lb Brussels sprouts, washed, trimmed and cut in half
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp salted butter
- More salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering but not smoking.
- Lay Brussels sprouts in a single layer cut-side down into pan and let cook until browned, about 2 minutes. Toss them quickly with a spatula, cover the pan and let cook another minute or two, until just becoming tender.
- Transfer sprouts to a medium bowl and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Add butter to the hot pan, reduce heat to medium, and let cook until browned and fragrant, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Drizzle butter over sprouts and serve immediately. Add more salt and pepper to taste.
*The recipe can easily be doubled but you may need to work in batches to caramelize the Brussels sprouts.