Donuts are such a no-no on a healthy diet, right? Unless, of course, you make your own low carb donuts at home, with healthy ingredients. These Chai Spice Donuts have a lovely “cinnamon sugar” coating. Great with your morning coffee!
Chai Spice Low Carb Donuts
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 3 large eggs
- Sweetener equivalent to 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 2 to 4 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp granulated sweetener
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
Cinnamon “Sugar” Coating:
- For the donuts, preheat the oven to 325F and grease a 12-cavity donut pan. (If you only have a 6 cavity pan, you will need to work in batches)
- In a blender, combine the sour cream, eggs, sweetener, and vanilla extract. Pulse to combine.
- Add the almond flour, baking powder, spices, and salt and blend until well combined. If your batter is very thick, add water until it thins out. It should be scoopable but not pourable.
- Spoon the batter into the donut cavity to about 3/4 full. Bake about 20 minutes, until golden brown and just firm to the touch. Remove and let cool in the pan 10 minutes, then flip out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the coating, in a small bowl combine the sweetener and cinnamon. Brush the top of each donut with melted butter and then sprinkle with the sweetener mixture.
Copyright © 2009-2021 Diabetes Media Foundation, All Rights Reserved. ASweetLife™ is a trademark of the Diabetes Media Foundation, All Rights Reserved.
This recipe didnt make sense. It was like sand. We had to add 2 cups of almond milk to get it moist enough. We started with water but it would have been so much water there would have been no taste. I think this recipe needs to be reviewed by the site. It is written wrong or something is missing.
Sandy, I followed the directions exactly and got 9 large moist donuts.
Yes if it was sandy, then you did something wrong. Perhaps mismeasured? What kind of almond flour did you use?
I don’t have a donut pan…do you think I could use my muffin top pan?
Wonder if this would work in my 6 cavity mini bundt pan.
It would be great that way!