With all the sweets that abound at this time of year, sometimes it’s nice to snack on something a little more savory. This almond flour shortbread is buttery and delicious, and perfect for pairing with your favorite cheese. It’s easy to make, and you can keep the dough logs frozen so that you can make a few at a time. Or make the whole batch for your next holiday get together!
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 4 oz shredded cheddar (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- In a food processor, combine the almond flour, coconut flour, thyme, salt and pepper. Pulse to mix well.
- Add the cheddar, butter, and egg and process on high until the dough clumps together in one or two big balls.
- Divide the dough in half and roll each into an 8 inch log. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and roll a few more times to make the log nice and round. Freeze 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 300F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Use a sharp knife to slice the dough into 1/4 inch thick slices.
- Place on the prepared baking sheets and bake 5 minutes, then use a flat bottomed glass to press them down a little thinner. Return to the oven and bake another 15 to 20 minutes, until firm to the touch.
- Remove and let cool completely.