Mashed potatoes aren’t the only game in town! I recently spied a recipe for cheesy mashed potato puffs and wondered if I could modify it for mashed cauliflower. Since cauliflower contains more liquid, I knew that I’d need to add something to give them a little more structure. Beaten egg whites did the trick. They do shrink some as they cool, but they make a delicious low carb side dish for any meal.
- 1 medium head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 4 ounces cheddar, grated
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 2 egg whites
- Preheat oven to 400F and grease a non-stick muffin tin well.
- Set a steam basket into a large pot and fill the bottom with an inch or two of water. Add cauliflower and garlic to pot and set over medium heat. Steam 7 to 10 minutes, or until quite tender.
- Drain well and transfer to a food processor (including garlic cloves).
- Puree until smooth and transfer to a large bowl. Stir in sour cream, cheddar, parsley, salt and pepper. Stir in eggs until well-combined.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until quite stiff but not dry. Gently fold egg whites into cauliflower mixture until just combined.
- Divide evenly between prepared muffin cups and bake 18 to 22 minutes, until puffed and set and golden brown.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately.