We love entertaining, so I’ve had to become adept at providing delicious foods that are low carb for our guests with diabetes. One of the hardest food groups to make low carb for me is appetizers. It seems like with a few exceptions (mmmm, chicken wings!), all the best ones are loaded with high glycemic starches. Potato skins, foccacia, crostini, etc. – so delicious, yet they are a blood sugar-raising nightmare. Enter these fantastic spinach puffs! Crisp on the outside, soft and cheesy on the inside, these are dangerously addicting. But at less than one net carb each, you can indulge guilt free! As an added bonus they are ridiculously easy to make – just blend, roll and bake!
If you’re making them for company you better double the batch – these go FAST!
- 16 oz. package frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 cup almond flour
- 4 Tbsp salted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp onion powder
- 3 Tbsp heavy whipping cream
- Squeeze the spinach in a paper towel to remove as much of the moisture as possible.
- Add all of the ingredients to a food processor or blender and puree until smooth.
- Chill for 15 minutes (or longer). Form into 1 inch balls and place on a cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees (F) for 12 minutes.
- Don’t bake too long or they’ll dry out!
Mellissa Sevigny has teamed up with ASweetLife and low carb food bloggers, Carolyn Ketchum and Maria Emmerich to create a perfect World Diabetes Day dinner. Join us each day this week for mouth-watering recipes. A spectacular dessert recipe will be posted on World Diabetes Day, along with the kickoff of our Le Creuset giveaway. Stay tuned!