It’s funny to think that I was intimidated by the idea of making biscotti, back in the days when I used real sugar and flour. That seems about a million years ago, and now that I’ve tackled making them low carb and gluten-free, I think they are one of the easiest cookies to make. I love having a crisp Italian biscuit like this to dip into my morning coffee. It somehow makes the world seem more civilized!
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup Swerve Sweetener or other granulated erythritol
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup unsweetened dried cherries, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup sugar-free chocolate chips or chopped dark chocolate
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- Preheat oven to 325F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the almond flour, sweetener, baking powder, xanthan gum and salt. Stir in cherries, chocolate and almonds.
- Stir in melted butter, egg and almond extract until dough comes together. Turn out onto prepared baking sheet and form into a low, flat log about 10 by 4 inches. Bake 22 to 25 minutes, until golden brown and just firm to the touch. Remove and let cool 30 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 250F. With a sharp knife, gently cut into 15 even slices. Place slices back on cookie sheet, cut-side down and bake 15 minutes. Gently flip each slice, turn off oven and let sit inside until completely cool.