This low carb appetizer is so easy to make, I hesitate to even call it a recipe. It’s more like a great idea which also happens to be delicious. My best tip is to look for cherry tomatoes that are about 1-inch in diameter. If they are too small, it’s hard to get the cheese inside, so don’t use grape tomatoes. If they are too big, they are hard to eat. The creamy goat cheese filling is tangy and full of flavor. You can use other herbs in place of the garlic and basil if you prefer.
- 8 oz. chevre, softened
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes
- In medium bowl, combine chevre, garlic, basil, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the very tops off of the cherry tomatoes.
- Carefully cut around the ribs inside to loosen and scoop out seeds and interior membranes. I found it best to use a very small spoon to scoop.
- Using another small spoon, place 1 tsp or so chevre mixture inside each tomato, allowing some to protrude out of the top. Alternatively, place chevre mixture in a pastry piping bag fitted with a medium tip and pip into tomatoes.