Before you jump into your fall recipes I suggest you try this, what I call Summertime Chicken. To me, juicy tomatoes and fresh basil just scream summer. This recipe takes those delicious ingredients and pairs them with chicken and fresh mozzarella. It’s a surprisingly easy and flavorful dish.
Chicken With Plum Tomatoes, Basil and Mozzarella
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, cut into 16 wedges
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1 pound plum tomatoes (cored, seeded and chopped)
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella, drained really well and cut into ½-inch dice
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 8 thin cut chicken breasts
- Heat a broiler or prepare an outdoor grill with medium hot coals.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add onion wedges; sauté for 5 minutes or until slightly softened, the wedges will fall apart.
- Add the balsamic vinegar and water. Bring to a simmer.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook until the liquid has reduced to a sauce and onion is tender, about 7 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium-high. Add the tomatoes, salt and pepper; cook for 2 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and let sit for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in mozzarella and basil.
- Broil or grill chicken about 4 inches from heat source for 3 to 4 minutes per side. Place chicken on large platter. Scoop ¼ cup of topping on each chicken breast.
Copyright © 2009-2016 Diabetes
Media Foundation, All Rights Reserved. ASweetLife™ is a trademark of the Diabetes
Media Foundation, All Rights Reserved.