I can’t say enough good things about this spicy, cheesy snack. It’s simple to make, the dough can be made ahead and stored in the refrigerator, and the flavor is out of this world. My son loves them so much, he wants me to have them on hand every day. These crisps are made with almond flour, so they are low carb and entirely free of gluten.
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 3/4 tsp chipotle powder (or cayenne, if you prefer)
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups finely grated cheddar cheese
- 6 tbsp butter, cut into pieces and room temperature.
- In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, chipotle pepper and salt. Add cheese and butter and work in with hands, rubbing butter in with fingers, until a dough forms.
- Transfer dough to a sheet of waxed paper and form into a log 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Roll log back and forth on counter to smooth the sides. Roll up tightly in waxed paper and refrigerate until firm, at least 4 hours and as long as several days.
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Cut log into 1/4 inch slices and bake 12 minutes, or until spread and edges are starting to brown.
- Turn off oven and continue to let bake and crisp, about 10 to 15 more minutes. Watch carefully to make sure they don’t burn.