Inspired by Diabetic Cookery A diabetic cookbook from 1917.
Inspired by the 1917 diabetic cookbook, Diabetic Cookery, I decided to make low carb cookies. The cookies I’d had in my mind for a while after seeing a regular flour and sugar version were ginger cookies. I wasn’t able to follow the instructions for Ginger Cookies in Diabetic Cookery because they just weren’t clear enough, so I tried my own version of these low carb cookies. Ginger and chocolate are a lovely combination, and the idea of chocolate ganache sandwiched between two crisp ginger biscuits had captured my imagination. They turned out to be delicious.
- 2 cups almond meal
- ¼ cup granulated erythritol
- 1 ½ tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 5 tbsp butter
- 2 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 2 tbsp powdered erythritol or xylitol
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 16 drops stevia extract
- For the cookies, preheat oven to 300F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, erythritol, ginger, cinnamon, baking powder and salt. Stir in egg, melted butter, and vanilla and stir until dough comes together.
- Roll out dough between two layers of parchment to ¼ inch thickness or so. Cut into circles using a 2-inch diameter cookie cutter and lift gently off parchment (this is easiest if you have an offset spatula to get under them). Place cookies on prepared baking sheet and gather up dough to reroll until there is too little left to roll out (you will get about 30 cookies).
- Bake 15 minutes or until cookies are firm to the touch and just browning around the edges. Let cool on pan.
- For the ganache, melt butter, chocolate and powdered erythritol together in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir in cocoa powder, vanilla and stevia and whisk until smooth. Remove from heat and let sit 5 to 10 minutes to thicken.
- Spread the underside of one cookie with chocolate ganache and top with another cookie. Let set about 20 minutes.