The holiday season just isn’t complete without eggnog. In order to allow everyone, including kids, the elderly and pregnant ladies to enjoy, I chose to make a cooked version. It is every bit as delicious as the uncooked version without the worry. For sweetness, this recipe uses Truvia, a natural, zero-calorie sweetener derived from the stevia plant. It won’t make your blood sugar soar. Enjoy!
- 4 large egg whites
- 2 large whole eggs
- 1 quart nonfat milk
- 2 Tbsp + 2 tsp (6 packets) Truvia
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup crushed ice
- In a small bowl, lightly beat together egg whites and whole eggs. In a heavy sauce pan combine, eggs, milk and Truvia.
- Mix well using a wire whisk. Slowly bring to a simmer over low heat.
- Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring constantly with a whisk. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Mix well.
- Refrigerate until cold.
- Pour mixture and crushed ice into a blender and process until frothy.
- Garnish with nutmeg, if desired.