It’s back to school time and you want to find some fun but healthy snacks for your kids. Well these little “corn dog” bites are sure to be a hit, even though they contain no corn whatsoever. I saw a conventional version of this recipe recently and wanted to give it a low carb makeover. Lightly sweetened coconut flour has a very similar flavour to cornbread and my kids just adored these!
- 2/3 cup coconut flour
- Sweetener of choice equivalent to 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 5 large eggs
- 5 tbsp butter, melted
- 3/4 cup almond milk (or use half water, half cream for a nut-free version)
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 5 hot dogs, each cut into 6 even pieces
- Preheat oven to 325F and grease a non-stick mini muffin pan very well. If you do not have a good non-stick pan, you may want to consider paper liners.
- In a large bowl, combine coconut flour, sweetener, baking powder, and salt, breaking up any clumps with the back of a fork. Stir in eggs, butter, milk, and vanilla extract until well combined. Stir in 3/4 cup of the shredded cheese.
- Fill each mini muffin cavity about two thirds full of batter (you may end up with a little too much batter and will need to do another round). Press one piece of hot dog into the center of each. Sprinkle the tops with remaining cheese.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until cheese is melted and muffins are firm to the touch. Remove and let cool 15 minutes, then gently run a knife around the edges of each and remove them from the pan.