It’s back to school time and you want to find some fun but healthy snacks for your kids. Well these little “corn dog” bites are sure to be a hit, even though they contain no corn whatsoever. I saw a conventional version of this recipe recently and wanted to give it a low carb makeover. Lightly sweetened coconut flour has a very similar flavour to cornbread and my kids just adored these!
“Corn Dog” Nuggets
- 2/3 cup coconut flour
- Sweetener of choice equivalent to 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 5 large eggs
- 5 tbsp butter, melted
- 3/4 cup almond milk (or use half water, half cream for a nut-free version)
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 5 hot dogs, each cut into 6 even pieces
- Preheat oven to 325F and grease a non-stick mini muffin pan very well. If you do not have a good non-stick pan, you may want to consider paper liners.
- In a large bowl, combine coconut flour, sweetener, baking powder, and salt, breaking up any clumps with the back of a fork. Stir in eggs, butter, milk, and vanilla extract until well combined. Stir in 3/4 cup of the shredded cheese.
- Fill each mini muffin cavity about two thirds full of batter (you may end up with a little too much batter and will need to do another round). Press one piece of hot dog into the center of each. Sprinkle the tops with remaining cheese.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until cheese is melted and muffins are firm to the touch. Remove and let cool 15 minutes, then gently run a knife around the edges of each and remove them from the pan.
Copyright © 2009-2021 Diabetes Media Foundation, All Rights Reserved. ASweetLife™ is a trademark of the Diabetes Media Foundation, All Rights Reserved.
I left out the cheese, increased sweetener, added cinnamon and nutmeg. Made doughnuts. Yum. I really liked the corn dogs but the lightness of the dough I thought wow doughnuts,
Made them with bacon , jalapeno and 2 cheeses.
Just a great basic recipe !
Delicious and easy
Just made these, so delicious and super easy to make!! Even my non-keto boyfriend was chowing down on them too! I actually ended up with 36 mini’s, more for me to enjoy!
Yummm!!!! These look so good. My boys would absolutely love these.
I don’t know why these don’t have 5 stars! Just as good as the cornmeal ones. Didn’t change a thing! We loved them. I got about 32 bites! Thanks for sharing!
have you ever used almond flour instead of coconut flour?
Really dont like being dairy free when I find cool recipes like this! Suggestions for a sub? Can cheese just be left out? I refuse to use artificial franken-cheese substitutes, so appreciate any suggestions.
These look great. I was wondering if they can be frozen?
Great idea for the kids (and me), these look great! I don’t have a mini-muffin pan yet. I think I’ll dice up the hot dogs, add them to the batter & make “drop bisquits” on parchment paper. Thanks!