Recipe courtesy of Horizons for Diabetes Awareness Month
Cuban Pan-Seared Tofu with Onions & Mojo
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (not extra virgin)
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Latin Spice blend for coating tofu (see below)
- 1 (16-ounce) block of tofu, cut into 3 equal slabs
- 1 large onion, slivered or cut into strips
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon granulated onion
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 tablespoon ground dry chile of your choice, such as chipotle, ancho or cayenne
Latin Spice Blend:
- In a small saucepan on very low heat, make the mojo by combining the garlic, lime juice, olive oil, salt, pepper, and parsley. Let it come up to a light simmer for 2 to 3 minutes, and then remove from heat.
- Pan-sear the tofu and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the canola oil on high heat until it starts to ripple, and add the onions and sauté them for about 2 to 5 minutes, until they begin to brown.
- Continue cooking onions for about 5 minutes, then remove from heat and allow to cool for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour the mojo mixture into the skillet containing the onions.
- Place the tofu on a plate and spoon the onion mixture over it.
Copyright © 2009-2016 Diabetes Media Foundation, All Rights Reserved. ASweetLife™ is a trademark of the Diabetes Media Foundation, All Rights Reserved.
Horizons: New Vegan Cuisine available on Amazon.com