Avocados are one of the smartest fat fuels I can think of. They’re one of my go-to foods anytime I want something filling, nutritious easy, and of course delicious. Avocados are great for regulating blood sugars due to the high amounts of fiber and healthy fats, both of which take longer to digest. The fat contained in the avocado is also considered heart healthy due to the balance of homocysteine by vitamins B6 and folic acid.
This avocado mousse is a perfect display of the avocados subtle flavor, as it picks up the dark chocolate and contributes to the velvety, creamy, and thick texture of the mousse.
You can use any brand of dark chocolate you enjoy. In this recipe I used the dark chocolate Sweet Riot, 85% dark because I like my dark chocolate super dark.
Dark Chocolate Avocado Mousse
- 1 large avocado
- ½ cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk OR unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tsp. of organic vanilla extract
- 1 Tbs. of organic cold-pressed coconut oil
- 1 Tbs. of raw organic cocoa powder
- ½ bar of your favorite high quality dark chocolate, chopped
- ½ tsp. of stevia (optional, if you’d like it sweeter)
- 1 Tbs. of coffee (left over from the morning of or use instant)
- 1 Tbs. of cacao nibs (optional topping)
- 1 Tbs. of shredded coconut (optional topping)
- Melt the dark chocolate over a stovetop (or microwave safe bowl) with the coconut oil, and coffee.
- Combine the melted chocolate sauce with the remaining ingredients in a blender or bowl.
- Combine all the ingredients using a high speed blender (or a hand mixer).
- Blend or mix until creamy and smooth.
- The texture will resemble a fluffy mousse.
- Spoon into a bowl or wine glass (for some flare) and garnish with toppings of your choice.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Diabetes Media Foundation, All Rights Reserved. ASweetLife™ is a trademark of the Diabetes Media Foundation, All Rights Reserved.