Creamed spinach is one of the great naturally low-carb vegetable side dishes. Sadly, many restaurants and home recipes rely on a cheat: flour-thickened milk. But perfect creamed spinach deserves real cream, which is richer, sweeter, and just plain better. It takes a little longer, but it’s worth it. You can add any number of flavors to this recipe – garlic, tarragon, Parmigiano – but you might find that simplest is best.
- 10 oz frozen chopped spinach
- 1 medium shallot, finely diced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt to taste
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add shallot.
- Sweat shallot until it softens, but does not color, about 4 minutes.
- Add frozen spinach to the pan. Carefully melt block of spinach until it has entirely defrosted. (Placing a lid over the pan makes it go faster. If the shallot gets too hot and begins to color, add some water to the pan).
- Remove lid, and add heavy cream.
- Reduce patiently over medium-low heat, until cream has thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 15 minutes.