Fennel is a nice change from the normal vegetable side dish rut we seem to fall into. I never used to be a big fan of fennel (which is low-carb and rich in vitamin C) but when it is slow cooked like this, the anise flavor mellows. This would be a perfect side dish for a holiday meal.
- 2 bulbs fennel, trimmed and halved lengthwise
- 2 Tbsp butter, cubed
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and halved
- Coarse salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups hot chicken stock
- 2 Tbsp heavy cream
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano
- Preheat oven to 350°. Arrange fennel in a 10″ baking dish, and scatter butter and garlic around fennel.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add hot stock and bake until tender and browned, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Preheat broiler. Spoon cream over fennel, sprinkle nutmeg over cream, then sprinkle fennel.