You may find it hard to believe but chocolate and avocado are a match made in heaven. The creamy richness of avocado plays very nicely with the deep bitter notes of cocoa powder. These flourless muffins are a perfect way to combine the two flavors. They’re incredibly healthy, gluten-free, nut-free and dairy-free. And they were a huge hit with my kids!
- 1 ripe California avocado
- 1 cup sunflower seed butter
- 2 large eggs
- 6 tbsp water
- 6 tbsp cocoa powder
- Sweetener equivalent to 1/4 cup sugar (more to taste)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup Lily’s chips
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease a mini-muffin tin well.
- Add avocado, sunflower seed butter, eggs and water to a high-powered blender or food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Add cocoa powder, sweetener, baking soda and vanilla extract and continue to blend until well-combined and smooth. Batter will be very thick so you may need to scrape down the sides with a spatula a few times.
- Spoon out batter into prepared muffin tins and top each muffin with 4 or 5 chocolate chips.
- Bake about 12 minutes, until just firm to the touch. Remove and let cool.