Here’s a fresh take on the classic holiday green bean casserole. Gone are the over-cooked green beans and the canned mushroom soup. In their place are lightly steamed, crispy beans with a rich and flavorful sauce. And it all comes together within about 15 minutes. Consider it a deconstructed, and far healthier, version of the original holiday favorite.
- 1 lb fresh green beans, washed and trimmed
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 shallot, minced
- 8 oz cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3 tbsp dry sherry
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp arrowroot starch
- 1 tbsp water
- Additional salt and pepper to taste
- Place green beans in a large pot with a steam basket and fill the bottom with water. Heat over medium-high heat and steam until tender-crisp. Drain.
- Meanwhile, melt butter over medium heat in a large saucepan. Add shallot and cook until just translucent, about 2 minutes. Add mushrooms, salt and pepper and saute until golden and fragrant.
- Add sherry and let simmer until liquid is reduced by half. Add cream and reduce heat to medium-low. Let gently simmer 5 minutes.
- Combine water and arrowroot starch in a small bowl. Add to pan and stir until thickened, about 30 seconds.
- Arrange green beans on a serving platter and season with additional salt and pepper to taste. Top with mushroom sauce.
- Serve hot.
Carolyn Ketchum has teamed up with ASweetLife and low carb food bloggers, Mellissa Sevigny and Maria Emmerich to create a perfect World Diabetes Day dinner. Join us each day this week for mouth-watering recipes. A spectacular dessert recipe will be posted on World Diabetes Day, along with the kickoff of our Le Creuset giveaway. Stay tuned!