You know, I am really not that much of an asparagus fan. Many people love it and can hardly wait for spring to see those woody green stalks arrive in the stores. Me…not so much. But grilling asparagus and allowing it to char slightly allows a whole new set of flavors to come though. Drizzled with butter and lemon and now you’re talking!
- 1 lb asparagus stalks, trimmed and washed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 medium shallot, finely diced
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup roasted hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
- Preheat grill to medium high and toss asparagus with olive oil, salt and pepper. Place stalks on grill and cook until lightly charred and tender (how long will depend on how thick your stalks are), turning occasionally.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Once hot, add shallots and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook until shallots are translucent and tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice and hazelnuts.
- Remove asparagus from grill and drizzle with butter mixture. Add additional salt and pepper as desired.