I had no idea how good carrots could be on the grill. They are amazing! Because my family loves green onions so much, I added extra.
This is the perfect dish for a BBQ – equally delicious hot or at room temperature.
Grilled Carrot Salad (compliments of “The One-Block Feast”)
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 3 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 1/2 pounds carrots
- 3 green onions, ends trimmed and halved crosswise
- In a large bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, salt and 2 tablespoons of the thyme leaves. Add the carrots and green onions, turn to coat evenly, and marinate at room temperature for about 1 hour.
- Prepare a grill for medium heat (350 to 450 degrees).
- Lift the carrots out of the marinade onto the grill and cook, turning often with tongs, until charred on all sides and tender when poked with a paring knife, about 10 minutes for small carrots and 15 minutes for larger ones.
- About 5 minutes before the carrots have finished cooking, lift the green onions out of the marinade, reserving the marinade, and cook them, turning once, until charred and softened on both side, about 5 minutes total.
- As the carrots and green onions are done, return them to them marinade.
- Transfer the carrots to a cutting board and cut each carrot on the diagonal into 3 equal pieces. Return the carrot pieces to the marinade and toss with the onions.
- Arrange the carrots and green onions on a large serving platter (discard the marinade) and sprinkle with the remaining tablespoon of thyme leaves.
Copyright © 2009-2021 Diabetes Media Foundation, All Rights Reserved. ASweetLife™ is a trademark of the Diabetes Media Foundation, All Rights Reserved.