modified from www.foodandwine.com
Grilled carrots are one of my absolute favorite side dishes these days. I love when they get slightly charred and caramelized. This recipe pairs those delicious, caramelized carrots with peppery arugula and a buttery dressing. It’s really an amazing combination!
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp smoked sweet paprika
- 1 Tbsp ground fennel
- 1 Tbsp ground coriander
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 1 pound baby carrots, halved lengthwise and tops trimmed to 1 inch
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1 Tbsp water
- 5 ounces baby arugula
- In a bowl, combine the olive oil, paprika, fennel, coriander, garlic and thyme. Add the carrots and let stand for 2 hours.
- Preheat a grill for direct cooking. Remove the carrots from the marinade and season with salt and pepper. Grill over moderate heat, turning, until crisp-tender, 6 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, cook the butter over moderate heat until lightly browned and nutty-smelling, shaking the pan gently, about 5 minutes.
- Scrape the butter and solids into a medium-sized bowl. Add the vinegar and water; whisk until blended. Season the vinaigrette with salt and pepper.
- Add the vinaigrette and arugula to the carrots; toss to coat. Transfer the salad to plates and serve.