I adore bruschetta and have since the first time I tried it. But let’s face it, that french bread isn’t so kind to the blood sugars or the waistline. Enter my favorite bread substitute: eggplant. It doesn’t have all that much flavor on its own so it’s perfect for topping with the bright, bold taste of tomatoes, garlic and basil. And grilling the eggplant first just adds to the summery appeal. In short, with eggplant bruschetta you have a delicious low carb appetizer.
- 2 cups diced fresh tomatoes
- 2 tbsp chopped basil
- 2 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 medium eggplant, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp oil of choice (olive, avocado, walnut, whatever you fancy – I like walnut)
- Pepper to taste
- For the topping, combine tomatoes, basil, garlic and olive oil in a large bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper and let sit for flavors to meld.
- For the eggplant, lay slices in a single layer and sprinkle with salt. Let sit half an hour.
- Preheat grill to medium. Grill eggplant until tender and slightly charred, about 5 to 7 minutes per side.
- Remove and brush with oil, then sprinkle with pepper.
- Place about 2 tbsp of bruschetta topping on each slice of eggplant. Serve warm or cold.