You really can’t beat homemade applesauce. Apples have so much flavor (and sweetness) of their own, there really is no need for all of the sugar that’s added in the store bought stuff. This recipe adds only lemon and cinnamon for a deeper flavor.
My kids can’t seem to get enough of this right now, which is why I made a big batch and froze a lot. It freezes and thaws beautifully!
- 3 to 4 lbs of peeled, cored, and quartered apples
- 4 strips of lemon peel – use a vegetable peeler to strip 4 lengths
- Juice of one lemon, about 3-4 Tbsp
- 3 inches of cinnamon stick
- 1 cup of water
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- Put all ingredients into a large pot. Cover. Bring to boil. Lower heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Remove cinnamon sticks and lemon peels. Process through food mill.
- Ready to serve, either hot or refrigerated. Freezes easily, lasts up to one year in a cold freezer.