It’s apple season! Okay, so apples aren’t exactly the lowest carb fruit you can choose, but I still love them. And I try to work in a little bit of apple into some recipes, enhanced with a little apple extract to boost the flavor. It really makes the fall seem more complete, when you can enjoy some freshly picked apples in your baking.
So, I added an apple to this low carb apple cinnamon granola recipe, and it’s perfect!
- 1 cup walnuts or pecans
- 1 cup almond flour
- 3/4 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup hemp seeds
- Sweetener equivalent to 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 medium apple, finely diced
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 tsp apple extract (or vanilla, if you don’t have apple)
- Preheat oven to 300F and line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the nuts, almond flour, coconut, sunflower seeds, hemp seeds, sweetener, and salt.
- Process until mixture resembles coarse crumbs with some larger chunks.
- Transfer to a bowl and add the apple and cinnamon. Stir in the butter and apple extract until mixture begins to clump together.
- Spread out on prepared baking sheet and bake 25 minutes, stirring two or three times, until beginning to brown.
- Turn off oven and let cereal sit inside for 5 to 10 minutes more. Remove from oven and let cool. It will continue to crisp up as it cools.