Meatloaf is truly a comfort food for most of us. Memories of the days when your mom used to serve it with mashed potatoes and gravy for dinner, or sandwiched between white bread for lunch are hard to top. Our low-carb version is packed with richness from pimiento cheese and tang from the BBQ sauce glaze. It’s time to make new memories!
- 1/3 cup whole fat mayonnaise
- 4 tablespoons diced pimientos, drained
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 4 oz. grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1½ lbs ground turkey
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt (adjust to your taste)
- 2 teaspoons fresh cracked black pepper (adjust to your taste)
- 2 tablespoons low/no carb BBQ sauce, such as Walden Farm’s brand
- Heat oven to 400°F
- In a large bowl, combine the mayonnaise, pimientos, mustard, pepper and cheese and gently stir to combine.
- Add the ground turkey and mix by hand until all ingredients are evenly incorporated. Don’t over mix or knead too vigorously because doing so will toughen the meat.
- Line a metal baking dish with aluminum foil and crimp up the sides to catch any pan juices.
- Form the meat mixture into a rounded loaf on the foil.
- Brush the top with the BBQ sauce.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let the meatloaf sit for at least 10 minutes. This will allow the juices to re-absorb into the meat and keep it tender.
If you don’t like BBQ sauce, try this ketchup alternative: Combine 3 tablespoons tomato paste with 2 teaspoons vinegar and a little pepper as an alternative to ketchup. It will add 10 calories and 2 extra grams of carbs per serving.