What better way to prepare healthy, nutrient-filled Brussels sprouts than to fry them up, bathe them in a buttery buffalo sauce and dunk them in blue cheese dressing? This is a high-fat, high-fiber, moderately carby treat that would go great with a lean protein entree. You can use a variety of methods to cook the sprouts – an air fryer is probably the healthiest method, but you can go the opposite direction and deep-fry them too – the important thing is to use very hot oil to develop good flavor and a crispy exterior. The buffalo and blue cheese sauces given here are simple and classic.
Low Carb Buffalo Brussels sprouts
- 1lb Brussels sprouts
- 3 T cooking oil of your choice
- 1oz blue cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons mayo
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 teaspoon cream
- Black Pepper
- 2 T butter
- 1/4c Frank’s Red Hot Sauce, or similar
- Prepare the Brussels sprouts. Cut off the base and discard. Cut each sprout in half. Discard any tough or discolored exterior leaves.
- Prepare the blue cheese sauce. Mix all ingredients together, and add salt and black pepper to taste.
- Prepare the buffalo sauce. Add butter and hot sauce to a small pan over low heat. Melt butter, mix and keep warm.
- Add cooking oil to a heavy pan. Heat over a high flame. Add Brussels sprouts (carefully), season with a generous pinch of salt, and spread out so as to maximize contact with the bottom of the pan.
- Reduce heat to medium-high. Stir sprouts every few minutes, so that several sides of each sprout have a turn in direct contact with the pan. Add more fat if the pan seems too dry.
- Continue to cook until the sprouts have mostly turned a dark brown, and have softened slightly, 6-10 minutes. Turn off heat.
- Add Brussels sprouts to a bowl, and coat completely with buffalo sauce. Stir thoroughly.
- Serve with blue cheese sauce.
Copyright © 2009-2021 Diabetes Media Foundation, All Rights Reserved. ASweetLife™ is a trademark of the Diabetes Media Foundation, All Rights Reserved.