I love apples and I love apple season. There is nothing quite like standing in an orchard in the cool, crisp fall air and biting into a freshly picked apple. Of course, I have to severely limit my apple intake now, as they are not exactly low carb or. Still, I like to find ways to work them into recipes, like in these low carb cinnamon apple scones so I can enjoy apple season without feeling deprived. And a little apple extract can help boost that flavor even more in these low carb scones.
- 3 cups almond flour
- Sweetener equivalent to 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 medium apple, finely chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 tbsp heavy cream
- 1 tsp apple extract (or vanilla, if you must!)
- Granulated sweetener equivalent to 2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tbsp melted butter
- Preheat oven to 325F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the almond flour, sweetener, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Stir in chopped apple. Add eggs, butter, cream and apple extract and stir until dough comes together.
- Divide dough into two equal portions and pat into two disks, about 1 inch thick and 7 to 8 inches in diameter.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the 2 tsp granulated sweetener and the cinnamon. Brush melted butter over disks and sprinkle with topping. Cut each disk into 8 equal portions and spread around prepared baking pan.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until scones are golden brown and firm to the touch. Remove and let cool completely.