For me, shortbread is the ultimate Christmas cookie. And this delicious low carb Cranberry Orange cookie is easy and perfect for sharing. You can freeze the dough ahead of time so it’s ready whenever you need it.
Unsweetened dried cranberries are tough to find but some places do carry the freeze dried kind, which work well for this. Trader Joe’s and Amazon are good places to get them. You can also make your own using my recipe found here.
But if you really can’t find them and don’t want to make your own, sub in 1/2 cup of finely chopped fresh cranberries. Whether they are fresh or dried, chopping the cranberries is important to being able to slice the shortbread more easily!
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- Sweetener equivalent to 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 3/4 cup almond flour
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 2 tsp grated orange zest
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp orange extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup sugar-free dried cranberries, finely chopped
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sweetener together until lightened and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in the almond flour, coconut flour, orange zest, vanilla extract, orange extract, and salt until well combined. Stir in the chopped cranberries.
- Divide the dough between two sheets of waxed paper and roll the two section into logs about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Wrap tightly in the waxed paper and freeze at least one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F and line two rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone liners. Using a sharp knife, slice the dough into 1/4 inch slices. Place on the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake 5 minutes, then remove from the oven and use a flat bottomed glass to press down slightly to flatten. Bake another 10 to 13 minutes, until golden brown.