I’ve always loved matzo ball soup, but since my diabetes diagnosis I’ve limited myself to one or two matzo balls per bowl of soup. This year I decided to create low carb matzo balls so that I can allow myself to indulge. To be completely honest: these low carb matzo balls aren’t the real thing, but they are definitely a satisfying substitute. I am pleased with the way they turned out and am excited to celebrate the Passover seder with as many matzo balls as I can handle!
- 5 large eggs
- 3 ½ cups almond flour
- ½ cup ground flax seeds
- ¼ cup water or soda water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Whisk the eggs in a large bowl. Add the oil, water, salt, almond flour and flax seed. Mix until even. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for two hours.
- Boil water in a large pot.
- Take the mixture from the refrigerator and using wet hands, roll the mixture into small balls, no larger than a ping pong ball (they will expand during cooking). Drop the balls into the boiling water one by one as you make them. Lower the flame and cook for 30 minutes.
- Drain the water and set aside.
- Before serving, heat low carb matzo balls in chicken broth then add to soup.