Mmm, mmm, mmm. The holidays are here and you don’t want to be left out in the cold, just because you eat a low carb or low sugar diet! Not to worry, these delectable bites of peppermint brownie heaven are the perfect sugar-free holiday treat. My kids thought these were the best things ever. I think another batch is in order, stat!
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- Sweetener equivalent to 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- 1/2 cup sunflower seed flour (or almond flour)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 to 4 tbsp water
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, slightly softened (not melted!)
- 2 tbsp coconut cream (the thick part from a can of coconut milk)
- Powdered sweetener equivalent to 1/2 cup powdered sugar**
- 1 to 2 tsp peppermint extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 and line a mini muffin pan with parchment or silicone liners.
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, melt the chocolate and coconut oil together, stirring until smooth. Do not let it heat up too much, just warm enough to melt the chocolate. Remove from heat, add the sweetener and stir until well combined.
- Add in the eggs and peppermint extract and whisk until combined. The mixture may thicken considerably, this is normal. Stir in the sunflower seed flour and baking powder. Add just enough water to thin out the batter so that it’s pourable.
- Divide the batter among the prepared mini muffin cups and bake 12 to 15 minutes. More for cake-y brownies and less for fudge-y brownies. Remove and let cool.
- In a medium bowl, beat the coconut oil with the coconut cream until well combined. Beat in the sweetener and peppermint extract.
- Spread or pipe onto the cooled brownies.
- Garnish with a few holiday sprinkles, if desired (not sugar-free but so few of them, it’s just for show and doesn’t add appreciable carbs).
**Powdered erythritol sweeteners, such as Swerve, work best here.