Pumpkin season is upon us, and there’s no shame in indulging in this important medium-carb autumn ingredient. Garlic, ginger and coconut milk push this pumpkin coconut soup in a mildly exotic direction, and a pinch of clove pulls it back towards familiar holiday flavors. This recipe yields 4 generous portions, but you could stretch it into 6-8 smaller, richer, and less carb-heavy appetizer portions by adding in heavy cream or coconut oil.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2” knob ginger
- 1 can 100% pumpkin puree
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 tsp salt
- pinch of ground clove
- roasted pumpkin seeds
- Peel ginger and garlic. Use a mortar, zester or press to smash or puree ginger & garlic into a paste.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add ginger and garlic.
- Sweat until fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Add pumpkin and coconut milk to the pan. Add a pinch of ground clove. Increase heat to medium.
- Let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Taste and add salt as desired.
- Portion and garnish with roasted pumpkin seeds and cilantro leaves.